Make Your Flowers Last
What’s the reason behind the custom to decorate our homes or synagogues with flowers for Shavuos? Many say it’s to symbolize Mount Sinai which was covered with greenery on the day of Matan Torah, when G-d gave the Torah to the Jews.
Keep those Shavuos flowers last longer!
Add one of these common household items to your vase:
- A penny and a teaspoon of sugar
- A few drops of vodka and a teaspoon of sugar
- 3 tablespoons sugar and 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar and 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 crushed aspirin
- 1/4 teaspoon bleach per quart of water
You can also cut the stems at a 45-degree angle one inch from the bottom before placing it into your vase. And most importantly, don’t forget to change the vase water every few days.