Pulled Beef Hamentaschen
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 pounds (1 and 1/3 kilograms) beef cheek or beef deckle
2 Vidalia onions, sliced
3 C pineapple juice
3/4 C soy sauce
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
48 mini pizza rounds
1/2 C tomato paste
1/3 C ketchup
1/4 C brown sugar
Caramelized Onion Mayonnaise
2 large onions, sautéed until deep brown
1 C light mayonnaise
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp lemon juice
2–3 Tbsp water
Prepare the Beef
- Blend all mayonnaise ingredients with an immersion blender and add water till the consistency you want. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit (120 degrees Celsius). In a heavy oven-safe pot or a Dutch oven, heat a tablespoon of olive oil and sear the cheeks or deckle well on both sides. Remove the meat from the pot and set aside.
- Place the sliced onions in the same pot. Sauté until translucent, then add beef back in.
- Combine the pineapple juice and soy sauce and pour over the meat until almost completely covered. Bring to a simmer, then cover the pot and bake in the oven for two and a half hours or until fork tender. Cool slightly, then shred. Taste and season with salt and pepper as necessary.
Make this up to three days ahead.
Assemble the Hamentaschen
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (220 degrees Celsius). Remove frozen pizza rounds from the freezer and let them come fully to room temperature.
- Combine the tomato paste, ketchup, and brown sugar and brush the pizza rounds with the sauce. Place about a Tbsp of beef in the center. Pinch corners closed to make a hamentaschen shape.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve drizzled with onion mayo.