Pastrami Split Pea Soup
A hearty soup for these cold winter days by kosher.com
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 lb chunk of pastrami, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 cup yellow split peas
- 1 cup green split peas
- 10 cups water
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Add oil to a large pot over high heat. Add pastrami cubes and saute until crispy. Remove pastrami from pot (leave the pastrami drippings, it adds flavor to the vegetables).
- Add onion, garlic, celery, carrots, and zucchini to the pot and saute until vegetables are tender.
- Add split peas, water, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for one hour, stirring occasionally, or until the peas have become soft and tender.
- Add in the pastrami chunks and cook for an additional 15 minutes. Serve hot.