Fried Sweet Potato and Pastrami Salad
This savory salad from kosher.com will add a gourmet touch to your meal
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled
- Oil, for frying
- 1/2 pound pastrami
- 1 bag chopped Romaine lettuce
- 1 medium red onion, cut into thin strips
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup oil
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Peel sweet potato into thin strips. Drop a few potato strips at a time into the hot oil and fry until they curl up a bit and the edges are golden and crisp, about three to four minutes. Remove from oil and let drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Meanwhile, grease a grill pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add pastrami and cook until pastrami is crunchy. Cut into 2-inch pieces and set aside.
- Combine vinegar, salt, sugar, mustard, and garlic in a medium bowl or jar. Blend using an immersion blender.
- Slowly add in the oil and blend.
- In a large bowl or on individual plates, combine Romaine lettuce and red onion. Top with pastrami pieces and sweet potato strips. Serve with dressing on the side.