Flanken Onion Soup
A warm and hearty soup to enjoy as the weather starts getting cooler
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 medium/large onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 and 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 large pieces bone-on flanken (or more, the heartier the better!)
- 8 cups chicken stock
- Turn your crock pot on low and drizzle in olive oil.
- Place onions in the crock pot and sprinkle with salt and pepper, then cover and let cook for 10–12 hours or overnight. After 10–12 hours, onions should be deeply caramelized and brown.
- Stir the onions to ensure none have stuck to the pot, then add in the wine, thyme sprigs, bay leaves, flanken, and chicken stock.
- Cover and continue to cook on low until the flanken is extremely tender, about six to eight more hours, depending on your crock pot.