Cheesy Pretzel Roll
Some foods are perfect for breaking the fast. We think this recipe from kosher.com fits the bill- fresh, filling and fun to make.
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 1 and 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 cups flour
- 3 sticks mozzarella cheese, each cut into 4 equal parts
- 1 egg, beaten, for brushing rolls
- coarse salt, for sprinkling
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in water with honey until bubbly.
- Stir in salt, oil, and two cups flour. Mix until smooth.
- Add remaining flour to form a soft dough; knead for five minutes. (You can refrigerate dough at this point if making ahead, and bring to room temperature when ready to continue.) Let rise 45 minutes to an hour, until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Punch down dough and divide into four equal parts. One piece can be set aside and frozen. Divide the other three pieces of dough into four balls each. Wrap each piece of dough around a piece of cheese, forming a neat ball and making sure to pinch and seal edges tightly.
- Place dough balls seam-side down on a lined baking sheet. Let rise 20 minutes.
- Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake for 25–30 minutes, or until golden brown.